Saturday, April 6, 2013

Welcome


Have you noticed that the business world is a little confused these days? Common sense seems to have left the building with Elvis.


Not that I consider myself the bearer of a lot of common sense. I've often thought my dashboard lights were going out when, in fact, I had just forgotten to take off my sunglasses. I've found myself thinking I can't brush my teeth because the battery in my electric toothbrush is dead. I pretend I'm on the cell phone in my car when I realize people are watching me argue with myself.

But I do know a few things.

I know that common sense used to tell us that we should treat people decently. Now it seems that we have to create legislation to tell us to do that.

I know that common sense has been replaced by buzzwords. I've been 7 habit-ed, 6 sigma-ed, and TQM-ed over the years, and yet I didn't feel any smarter. They've managed me in one minute, hid my cheese, painted my parachute, and threw sharks in my swimming pool, and I just felt angry because I didn't have any cheese left for my "whine & cheese party". And through all of this, it just seemed that they were trying to lead me to visit the place with the 12 steps...

I remember how common sense used to say that working hard and improving ourselves would help us be better people, better employees, better citizens. Now we wait for a performance appraisal and somebody from the training department to tell us that.

And I recall how common sense and decency used to say that we should listen to our conscience in the things we did and said.

If that's not the case anymore, then I want to try some uncommon sense to try to bring those principles back.

And that's what unCommon Sense is all about.

  • We'll share ideas to improve ourselves, whether we're trying to move up in our current profession or move out into something completely new. 
  • We'll think of ways we can do things more effectively while still being true to the crazy people we are. 
  • And most importantly, we'll laugh at all of this, because that old common sense saying of "Laughter is the best medicine" was right on the mark.

Join me, won't you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment